Pages

Saturday 17 January 2015

I used to peel my squash .... not any more!


Well, I used to peel my squash ... but I have seen Jamie Oliver tell me it's not necessary so many times now, that the last couple of times I have cooked squash - I haven't ... and do you know?  he's right!  Infact. it's probably nicer unpeeled.  The first time was butternut squash - which I thought - OK, that makes sense it's not too tough a skin - and it was delicious. Tonight was acorn squash (I think, I'm not an expert) much tougher skin - it was absolutely fabulous.

So from start to finish:-

Roast beetroot

Beetroot
Olive oil
Garlic

1.  Roast beetroot (whole, skins on) in olive oil, with garlic cloves in the pan - covered with foil - for about 2 hours.
2.  Allow to cool.
3.  Remove skin, and chop, toss in a little balsamic vinegar.

Roast squash

Squash
Olive oil

1.  Cut the top and bottom off the squash, scoop out seeds etc, cut inot wedges.
2.  Roast wedges in olive oil for an hour or so.

.. at the same time

Spicy potato wedges

Potatoes
Olive oil
Cajun seasonning
salt

1.  Chop potatoes into wedges.
2.  Roast in olive oil, sprinkled with cajun seasoning and salt for about an hour.

Cheesy kale and cabbage

Olive oil
Leek
Garlic
Kale
Cabbage
Mixed cheese, diced (we had stilton, gorgonzola, cheddar and cheshire left over from Christmas)

1.  Sautee chopped leek in olive oil.  When soft aff crushed garlic.
2.  Add kale - shredded, after cutting out tough stems.  Add to the pan, with a splash of water.  Simmer for 5 minutes.
3.  Add shredded cabbage, and simmer again.
4.  Chuck in diced cheese, transfer to an oven dish and bake for 20 minutes.

Serve, scoff... have seconds.  Blimey, it was good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave comments.

Yummly

Yum