Thursday, 18 May 2017
National vegetarian week: Day 3: Broccoli and cashew, szechuan kidney bean and vegetables
Black bean sauce
1. Cook rice - cover with water - to an inch over the rice, bring to the boil, slam on tight fitting lid and turn right down.
2. Prep all the veg - spring onion chopped, garlic finely chopped and ginger into tiny slivers, broccoli into small florets and thinly chopped stem, slice mushrooms. Peel and chop carrots into skinny batons, cut pepper and courgette into similar shapes.
3. In 2 woks, or similar, start both dishes with spring onion, garlic and ginger in hot oil.
4. Add mushroom and broccoli to one, and carrot, pepper and courgette to the other - stir fry.
5 To mushrooms and broccoli add a spoonful of black bean sauce and a drop of water, stir fry.
6. To other veg add a squeeze of tomato puree, crushed szechuan peppers, a splosh of soy sauce and a splosh of rice wine, a tin of drained kidney beans, and half a cup of water.
7. Keep both on a high heat, tossing about until done - it doesn't take long.
8. Sprinkle sesame seeds on the szechuan mixture.
9. Serve, scoff ... we all managed chop sticks!