Wednesday, 31 May 2017
tin of chopped tomatoes
1. Sweat down chopped onion in olive oil, add crushed garlic.
2. Dice the aubergine and red pepper and add them to the onion. Now add in some herbs - italian seasoning - and spices - cinnamon, fennel seeds, mustard seeds, a few cumin seeds.
3. Squeeze in some tomato puree, add a tin of chopped tomatoes, and a tin of water ... simmer.
4. Slice potatoes into rounds and boil.
5. Start the bechamel sauce by stirring GF flour into butter in a pan. When it forms a smooth paste add some soya milk (or regular milk), keep stirring to form a sauce. Add a bay leaf and a good grating of nutmeg. Add more milk, and keep stirring, until it looks like a nice, glossy thickish sauce.
6. Keep checking the aubergine mixture, add more water if its getting too dry. When the veg are soft it's done.
7. In an oven dish compile the layers - veg, then white sauce, then a layer of drained potatoes. Top with a drizzle of olive oil and grated cheese.
8 Pop in the oven for about 25 minutes until the top is golden.
9. Scoff, received fulsome praise. ... the cinnamon and nutmeg lift it out of the run-a-day.